Non-invasive Therapeutic Ultrasound is a treatment technique to manage acute swelling or when other hands on techniques are too uncomfortable. Ultrasound is applied using the head of an ultrasound probe that is placed in direct contact with your skin via a transmission coupling gel.
Therapeutic ultrasound is effective for:
- Reducing pain and inflammation
- Improving blood flow
- Reducing muscle spasm and scar tissue
- Preventing the development of Mastitis during breast feeding
Therapeutic ultrasound is not the best option for you if you have:
- Metal implants in the area of injury
- Vascular abnormalities (eg. Diabetes, Raynaud’s)
- Skin conditions
- Heart or blood clotting problems
Please consult your physiotherapist at Body Rhythm Physiotherapy for their expert opinion on the best use of therapeutic ultrasound and your injury.