Calf & Leg Injuries
Are you experiencing any of the following?
- Pain in your calf or leg
- Soreness in your calf or leg
- Stiffness in your calf or leg
- Swelling around your calf or leg
- Difficulty weight bearing, standing, walking, running, jumping
We can help! Physiotherapists are experts in human body and movement. If you are experiencing pain in your legs and foot, be sure to seek treatment straight away.
Common conditions we treat include
- Medial Tibial Stress Syndrome (Shin Splints)
- Achilles tendinopathy
- Fibularis/Peroneal tendinopathy
- Muscle strains
- Pre and post ankle surgery rehabilitation
Overuse injuries are common in the calf and leg. This involves a sudden increase in duration, intensity and/or frequency of an activity. For example, if you are not normally a runner but decide to go for a 3km run, you may start to feel pain in your legs as it is not accustomed to the load that is placed on it. Overuse injuries include medial tibial stress syndrome (shin splints), stress fractures and tendinopathies.
Acute injuries include muscle strains and fractures. Muscle strains often occur during high speed activities or over stretching. It often results from an improper warm up or lack of flexibility. Fractures often occur due to trauma from a fall, knock or motor vehicle accident.
As each individual is unique, there can be a variety of causes for your calf and leg pain. Your physiotherapist at Body Rhythm Physiotherapy will carry out a thorough assessment to establish an accurate diagnosis and contributing factors of your calf or leg pain.
Once a diagnosis is established, we will provide you with the correct advice, education and hands on treatment to assist you in your treatment of your calf or leg pain.
We offer a range of treatment options depending on your particular complaint and goals, consisting of:
- Muscle/soft tissue therapy – Trigger point release, myofascial release, massage
- Dry needling/Acupuncture
- Joint mobilisation
- Joint manipulation
- Ergonomic advice
- Rehabilitation, flexibility, strengthening and education programs
- Therapeutic Ultrasound